Subtly Straighten Your Smile with Invisalign®
For patients who want to straighten their teeth but do not want to commit to the metal brackets of traditional orthodontics, Dr. John Rink offers Invisalign® treatment at his Charleston, SC, practice. Using clear, comfortable plastic trays to realign your teeth, Invisalign® provides an aesthetic, subtle alternative for correcting your bite. To learn more about the benefits of Invisalign®, and whether it is a good option for you, schedule your personal consultation today.
Invisalign® is an alternative to traditional orthodontics. Rather than realigning a patient’s teeth with metal brackets, wires, and rubber bands, Invisalign® treatment uses a series of clear, removable plastic trays called aligners. Comfortable and discreet, these aligners are worn constantly throughout treatment, gradually shifting a patient’s teeth into the ideal position over a period of 12 to 18 months.
The Procedure Details
During your Invisalign® appointment, Dr. Rink will first take x-rays, photos, and impressions of your teeth and jaw to create a digital, three-dimensional model. With this model, he can plan your treatment in detail, including how long your treatment should take, how many aligners you will require, and how your teeth will ideally look at the end of treatment. Then he will create your aligners, which you will be able to take home with you.
Unlike the metal brackets and wire of traditional braces, the smooth plastic surface of Invisalign® aligners are comfortable to wear.
For the treatment to be effective, patients need to wear their aligners for at least 20 to 22 hours each day. Each individual aligner is worn for two weeks before switching to the next aligner in the series. Most patients will receive between 18 and 30 aligners in total, though the exact number will be determined by your unique needs. Treatments typically last 12 to 18 months for adults, while teenagers may require a few additional months.
How Can I Benefit from Invisalign®?
Invisalign® offers a number of distinct advantages over traditional orthodontic options, including:
- Aesthetic appeal: Many patients do not prefer the look or idea of metal brackets on their teeth. They are nearly impossible to miss, and some patients feel self-conscious of their smile when wearing metal braces. However, with the clear, understated appearance of Invisalign® aligners, patients can receive inconspicuous orthodontic treatment.
- Comfort: Unlike the metal brackets and wire of traditional braces, the smooth plastic surface of Invisalign® aligners are comfortable to wear. Many patients who wear metal braces complain of sores, scrapes, and rough patches caused by the metal. Athletes in particular are at risk of injuring their mouths.
- Less office visits: Since Invisalign® patients simply switch to a new series for an adjustment to their braces, there is much less time spent at the dentist’s office. Dr. Rink will schedule checkups every six weeks or so, to monitor your progress or suggest changes to upcoming aligners in your series.
- Simple and easy: The aligners will not interfere with your ability to eat, brush, or floss. Other than regular cleanings with lukewarm water and a brush, they do not require much maintenance. Most patients can easily add Invisalign® treatment to their daily routine.
- Improved oral health: By straightening your teeth, Invisalign® makes it easier for you to clean the hard-to-reach spaces in your teeth. Even the most attentive patients cannot clean areas they cannot reach. By improving access, Invisalign® treatment can make a substantial difference in protecting your oral health.
Achieve Straighter Teeth Today
Emphasizing a patient-centered approach, Dr. Rink and his staff take the extra step to make sure that your dental care is tailored to your needs. Contact us today to learn whether Invisalign® is the best approach for your treatment goals.