Preparing for Surgery
To prepare for oral surgery, you should:
- Wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing and a sleeveless or short sleeved shirt.
- Remove contact lenses, jewelry, and watches.
- Wear flat-soled shoes that support your ankles.
- Remove fingernail polish.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking for 24 hours before surgery.
Immediately before your surgery, you should brush your teeth and rinse your mouth thoroughly to help prevent infection. It is also recommendable to use the bathroom about half an hour before your procedure. For a smooth, calm recovery, it is a good idea to have ice packs and any medications already at home and prepare soft, easy-to-chew food, such as cottage cheese, yogurt, and pudding, in advance.